Datera Tier 1 Block Storage
with Veeam Backup & Replication
Datera & Veeam:
The Datera Data Services Platform has been tested and certified to provide Tier 1 block enterprise software-defined storage, as an ideal companion to Veeam Backup & Replication. Datera enables commodity servers from many different vendors, to form software defined storage clusters, which deliver Tier 1 block (iSCSI) Storage. The Datera platform enables bare metal, VM and container workloads to operate concurrently, within a single cluster. The clusters can scale to 64 nodes and may be comprised of a heterogeneous mix of Persistent Storage Class media, such as Intel Optane or Samsung’s Z-SSD, as well as NVMe, SAS and STA Flash. The platform supports rotational media as well, in hybrid nodes.
Veeam Ready Test:
- Company: Datera
- Product: Datera Data Services Platform
- Status: Veeam Ready – Repository
- Classification Description: Verified storage that supports all Veeam backup and restore features.
*This Veeam Ready test was performed with storage having a configuration that includes SSD/Flash. As such, this classification only applies to similar configurations in which the same amount or more SSD drives are used. The use of non-SSD drives may negatively impact performance.
- Storage Category: Software Defined Storage
- Drive quantity, size, type: 12 – 7TB HDD, 11 – 1.5TB NVMe across three nodes
- Storage configuration: 4 node Datera cluster with 1 All Flash Node (SSD) and 3 Hybrid nodes, caching using NV-DIMM
- Firmware version: V3.3.4
- Connection protocol and speed: 10 GbE iSCSI
- Additional support: All models and configurations of Datera Data Services Platform with specifications equivalent or greater than the above
Veeam Testing Configuration:
Note: The following settings were used by the vendor to meet Veeam Ready testing requirements and should not be considered best practices. Additional changes or settings may be needed to meet the storage efficiency or performance needs for each environment. For each setting, reference links are provided for further clarification.
Veeam Build Number: 126.96.36.19966
|Storage Optimization:||Local Target (Default)|
|Align backup file blocks:||Disabled (Default)|
|Decompress before storing:||Enabled|
|Per-VM Backup Files:||Enabled|
Vendor Recommended Configuration:
- Array deduplication used in testing
- Array compression used in testing
- Jumbo frames used in testing (MTU=9000)
- Datera default storage settings were used for testing
- Multi-pathing used during testing (MPIO)